Lake County Animal Control Florida
Animal Control services have been turned over to the county. If you would like to report a stray or wild animal in your neighborhood, please call 352-343-9688, between the hours of 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. If calling outside of theses ours, please call the emergency number: 352-343-2101. Please remember to always spay or neuter your pets.
Lake County Sheriff Animal Control
Once animals are picked up, our technician contacts the Lake County Sheriff Office to pick up the animals. Although we have kennels that are able to house a few animals, we feel it is better to send them to an area where they can receive medical treatment immediately if necessary. It is also much easier to for owners to locate their pets when lost.
South Lake Animal League
The mission of the South Lake Animal League is to
- Act for the community as an advocate on behalf of animals
- Provide for the well-being of the animals in the South Lake area who are abandoned, injured, subjected to unfair or cruel treatment, or otherwise in need
- Provide shelter for these animals
- Maintain a “no kill” policy
- Serve the citizens and animals of our community by sponsoring related public health programs and upholding the laws enacted for their protection
- Educate the public on responsible pet ownership including prevention of over-population by spay and neutering
- Enhance the lives of animals and people in our communities through education, awareness, adoption, and compassion
Florida Animal Shelters receive pets from:
- Relatives when an owner has passed away
- Humane organizations and animal control agencies
- Owners who can no longer care for their pets
- Off the street (stray animals)
Houndhaven, Inc. rescues dogs and puppies from euthanasia at kill shelters. We care for them until they can be placed in loving homes or with another rescue group. We believe that these lives are precious, and we are strictly a no kill organization. Our mission is life. Our dogs and puppies may be seen at the PetsMart in Ocoee from noon to 4 p.m., on most Saturdays and on the 1st and 3rd Sundays of the month.
We believe that these dogs deserve the best homes, so all prospective adopters must have excellent veterinary references and agree to a home visit. All dogs are up to date on shots, microchipped, and spayed or neutered. A $150 adoption fee is charged to help defray veterinarian and other expenses. We have promised our dogs that they will never have to worry again, so adopters will sign a contract agreeing to take good care of the animal, and if an adoption doesn’t work out for any reason, the animal must be returned to Houndhaven.