Orange County Florida Humane Society
One of the region’s oldest and largest animal welfare agencies, serving Orange, Seminole, Osceola, and parts of Brevard, Lake, and Volusia counties, the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando began as the Orlando Humane Society in 1937. The original mission of the Orlando Humane Society was to promote “the spirit of kindness and mercy, to provide effective means for the prevention of cruelty to children and animals.”
Eventually emphasizing animal welfare as the primary mission, the Orlando Humane Society merged with the Humane Society of Seminole County in 2001 to become the SPCA of Central Florida. In 2014, the SPCA of Central Florida underwent leadership changes with the hope of transforming the historic role of animal shelters in the region by working outside the walls of the facilities to engage the entire community with the responsibility of caring for animals. With a new vision and mission, the SPCA of Central Florida also changed our name to reflect the new partnership between the organization and the community, becoming the Pet Alliance of Greater Orlando in May, 2014.