Animal Rescue St. Petersburg FL
Certified Veterinary Technician
Certified Veterinary Technician (St. Pete Location)
Medical Assistant (St. Pete Location)
Behavior and Training Assistant
Behavior and Training Technician
Managing Directer of Business Administration
Animal Welfare Associate
Manager of Annual Fund
Certified Veterinary Technician
Single Full-Time Position
Provide medical care to SPCA animals as per Shelter Veterinarian instructions and medical standard operating procedures. Serve in one or more assigned nurse roles on designated shift as personal certifications allow.
- Assist Shelter Veterinarian with treatment procedures and exams. Complete initial physical exam, and start an animal on medications or treatments, based on Veterinary SOP.
- Perform routine procedures including, micro chipping, vaccinations, wound cleaning, injections and blood sampling.
- Perform and interpret routine laboratory procedures including skin scrapes, DTMs, ear cytology and microfilaria exams
- Perform and interpret routine .
- Perform treatments, vaccinate, deworm and/or give heartworm/flea prevention for all animals in the shelter.
- Coordinate daily surgical cases.
- Perform routine dental cleanings.
- Administer sedation and anesthesia medications.
- Intubate and maintain pets on oxygen and/or gas anesthesia.
- Monitor pets under anesthesia and adjust levels based on evaluation of pet.
- Ability to successfully handle both routine and difficult public contacts, with strong conflict resolution skills in a high stress environment.
- Ability to operate computer, printer, copier, telephone, fax machine and smartphone.
- Ability to show compassion for animals and their owners.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other staff.
Please Submit Your Resume To
*St. Petersburg Veterinary Center Location
Provide medical care to client pets under the direction of the St Pete Veterinary Center Veterinarians’ instructions and standard business and medical operating procedures. Serve in one or more assigned nurse roles on designated shift as personal certifications allow.
- Assist Veterinarians with treatment procedures and exams.
- Complete initial exam work-up, and start the exam process for the veterinarian, including the gathering of pertinent medical and environmental information, based on Veterinary SOP.
- Perform and interpret routine laboratory procedures including skin scrapes, DTMs, ear cytology and microfilaria exams.
- Complete daily, or as otherwise scheduled:
- Perform treatments of hospitalized patients, including post-operative medications, and other necessary medical tasks.
- CVT Treatment Nurses Only – Under direct supervision and with approval of supervising veterinarian
- Induce anesthesia and intubate pets.
- Perform cystocentesis.
- Perform simple extractions.
- Log Controlled Drugs per DEA guidelines.
- Monitor recovery of anesthetized pets.
- Place animals in the appropriate recovery areas after surgery is completed.
- Ensure records are updated thoroughly and accurately, with surgery notes, treatments, and data prior to moving to next stage.
- Provide friendly, responsive and personalized customer service.
- Keep accurate and updated records and enter data as required into AVIMark software.
- Assist other medical team employees as needed.
- Be able to interact with the public and discuss medical issues with clients.
- Understand and communicate effectively Clinic policy and practice on service provision, medical standards and routine care.
- Maintain a clean and safe work environment.
- Participate in required meetings and trainings.
- Ensure DEA compliance with Controlled Substances (i.e. buprenorphine)
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay and the St Pete Veterinary Center at all times.
- All other duties as assigned.
- CVT Level: Associate’s degree
Licensure or Certification:
- Valid Florida driver’s license with acceptable driving record
- Volunteer experience in a shelter, veterinary clinic, or other similar animal care facility
- One or two years veterinary work experience
Assist the SPCA Tampa Bay shelter team.
- Clean and disinfect medical facilities
- Complete routine tasks such as weighing, taking temperatures and giving prescribed medications.
- Prepare and administer vaccines to newly arriving animals.
- Perform medicated baths.
- Complete daily treatment feeds and monitor diets.
- Restrain animals during exams and diagnostics.
- Restrain animals during euthanasia procedures.
- Keep accurate and updated records and enter data as required into appropriate shelter software.
- Professionally represent SPCA Tampa Bay at all times.
- One to two years of part-time or full-time general veterinary work experience preferred.
- Volunteer service in a shelter or similar facility preferred.